![]() | |
| Appeared On : | May 12, 2013 |
| Location : | Canada, Brazil, Italy, Czech Republic, San Marino, Cambodia, Ethiopia, Norway, Slovakia, Gibraltar, Peru, Venezuela, Ecuador, Ghana, Brunei, Australia, Singapore, Iceland, Japan, Montenegro, Germany, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Chile, Puerto Rico, China, Hong Kong, Uganda, Libya, Denmark, Philippines, Finland, Turkey, United States, Vietnam, Namibia, Kenya, Switzerland, New Zealand, Honduras, Estonia, Uruguay, South Africa, India, Malaysia, Austria, Latvia, Colombia, Greece, Sri Lanka, Croatia, Taiwan, Cyprus |
One of the creative highlights of my year came early back in January, when I created handmade cards for the Grandparents Day doodle in Poland. Fashioning them after kids' art, it was a nice change of pace to avoid tightly rendered illustrations and goof off instead with construction paper, glue, and scissors. Holding a physical final product in my hands at the end of the day was icing on the cake. So I got to thinking, How can we give our users the similar experience of being able to craft art on the homepage? We've done similar things in the past, like with the Make Your Own Hand Turkey doodle for Thanksgiving 2011. But what's another day you typically craft art you'd proudly pin to the refrigerator door? Why, Mother's Day, of course!
Showing just how accessible art should be, here's a "macadoodle" created by our old marketing manager, Preston.
Joey Hurst managing to sort out the parallax movement of the panning machine.
As we locked down the interaction, I also experimented with different visual treatments. I thought the machine itself should be made out of craft supplies, like cut-out paper boxes and macaroni strung together to form pipes. I thought it'd be even more fun to make these objects out of actual photos/scans of crafting supplies, but in order to keep the overall filesize of the doodle manageable, I opted for a flat, graphic approach.
I was influenced in part by the brilliant designer, Jim Flora, whose nonsensical industrial-scapes are a pure delight.
Once everything was built in Illustrator and timed in Flash (with many thanks to Sophia Foster-Dimino and Leon Hong, who both patiently taught me Flash-style animation), it was time to get to the heart of the doodle – the fridge art itself. But what to make? The machine guides the user through several choices:
All in all, you can create 27 different pieces of art, with a choice of 3 borders. And here's a doodle first: You can print out a high-resolution version of your artwork to present to Mom! Unfortunately, we couldn't get the 3D printer working to reproduce the beans, yarn, or macaroni. Maybe next year?
We hope you'll channel your inner child on the Google homepage as well!
Again, many thanks to the team that helped make this doodle possible, but most importantly, thank you to all mothers! It's a fun, altogether goofy machine, but this doodle is especially dedicated to my wife, the mother of our little boy. Thank you for understanding the long hours that went into making your gift! I'll try to spend less time on the pancakes.
Posted by Mike Dutton, Doodler
| |










0 comments:
Post a Comment